Tuesday, September 25, 2012

350,000 Trees Planted in Uganda

Photo courtesy: Flickr/CC BY 2.0

Trees are such an awe inspiring, multi-functional creation that many poems, sonnets and other literary pieces have been dedicated to them.

Remember these:

"Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago."
"Wise is the man who plants a tree under whose shade he will never sit".

Most people, myself included, have a special fondness for trees, so it was heart-warming to learn that tree-planting is not a lost art, and that the Earth Day Network has completed the first phase of its commitment to plant 10 million trees in impoverished areas of the world in 5 years (350k done, 9 million and 650 thousand to go...).

The flag of Uganda.

It's great because these can really make a difference, not only environmentally for all the obvious reasons, but also socially:
In the Kiboga-Kyankwanzi District, farmers are planting trees for fuel wood, animal fodder, construction materials, and intercropping. In the Kayunga District, families are planting trees for timber, to prevent soil erosion and mitigate the effects of storms, and to create living fences to protect their land from being seized by corrupt and influential farmers. In the Kamuli District, farmers are planting trees to create boundaries on their land and to provide fodder for cattle, which they are keeping to produce raw material for a biogas project in the district.

“My pigs did not have a shelter, but the trees I planted have created a forest for my pigs, and I also get firewood,” said Jaja Namboyere, a farmer in Basuutu Kyankwazi-Kibogo.

[...]

“I’m happy to have planted Calliandra trees as a fence on my land,” said Henry William Kunduba, a farmer in Balawori Kamuli. “I also use them to feed my goats. I need more Calliandra so that I can plant on all my land.”
Keep up the good work, Earth Day Network! And kudos to all the other tree-planters out there. Truly an investment in our future.

Photo courtesy: Dorothy Voorhees/CC BY-SA 2.0

For more info, go to the Earth Day Network and read all about the Canopy Project.

No comments: